Did you Know that 15.4 Million working days were lost due to work-related stress depression or anxiety in 2017/18 and that mental health affects 1 in 4 of us at some point in our lives. In this Blog we look at depression and anxiety which accounted for 44% of all work-related ill health cases and 57% of all working days lost due to ill health. Not only does work-related stress and anxiety effect the individual but can also affect family, friends and colleagues. With
Personal life and physical health being affected. Whilst at work it can have an effect including time off, increase in sickness levels. Reduction in productivity with possible effects on the ability to obtain or maintain work.
As a business this can lead to issues with lost time, reduced productivity increased costs and reduction in staff morale leading to poor staff-retention which increases the time lost by interviewing and finding staff with associated costs.
“You should consider ways to manage mental ill health in your workplace which are appropriate for your business, such as providing information or training for managers and employees, employing occupational health professionals, appointing mental health trained first aiders and implementing employee support programmes.”
Stress and Anxiety
Differ from person to person and what causes us stress and anxiety may seem easy to others or even ourselves tomorrow or yesterday this is because what we experience and expect has a large part to play in coping with stress and anxiety. We all feel worried or stress at times which can help us sometimes and overcome at others.
- Money Worries
- Family issues
- Exam Pressure
- Moving House
Are all known for causing stress and Anxiety but what about running out of milk for a cup of Tea or not being able to find something we like for lunch or even the fact its raining outside and now I don’t what I’m going to do this weekend. Can all push us over the edge the little things matter!
SO what can I do for myself
Firstly by recognising when stress or anxiety is becoming a problem you can start to build coping strategies to help
- Try re-organising your lifestyle go for a walk, see or speak to friends,
- Try eating a healthy diet and adopt regular eating patterns
- Avoid unhealthy habits such as drinking alcohol and smoking
- Do something you enjoy a hobby or sport maybe
- Speak to people and be honest look at the workload given is it realistic in the timeframe can somebody help or is that deadline realistic or necessary
look at the NHS choices website or speak to your GP for further information and advice
What can I do for others and my staff?
Some things you can try to look at in the workplace
- When looking at your workplace try looking at staff morale what is everybody like does it seem tense or relaxed.
- Have a conversation ask if people are ok show an interest in them and the work they are doing.
- Ask them is there a better way? are you doing something because its always been done that way or is there a better safer and less stressful way for example.
- Is the workload SMART. Or are you expecting to much from one person could you provide them with some training to help or spread the workload out better.
First Aid for Mental Health
If you would like to know more and gain a Nationally recognised accredited certificate whilst learning skills to help identify and the early signs and symptoms of mental ill health start supportive conversations and listen non judgementally to provide reassurance whilst signposting and encouraging appropriate professional support at the same time as reducing the stigma attached to mental health please visit the website or contact us /with regards to one of our first aid for mental health courses
Remember to ask us about group bookings and discount for Northamptonshire Chamber of Commerce members. Countrywise training Ltd will be more than happy to deliver this course at your convenience in your workplace
You’ll be pleased to know that by selecting Countrywise Training Ltd. We can train and assess Nationally recognised certificates with certification from FAA regulated by Ofqual. At competitive prices with group booking Discounts and choice of venue. To suit your needs and requirements, this includes training your staff at a time to suit including evenings, weekends and Nights.